Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Artison Profile - Geralyn Simpson of Big Woo Wear

How/when did you become an artisan?
Eight years ago when I first moved to Portland with my then four year old daughter I had $300 dollars to my name and a huge will to get us on our feet. Luckily I'd taught myself to crochet a few years back and had a small yarn stash so I made up a pattern for a basic bucket hat, made about 30 of them, and huffed it down Hawthorne between job interviews trying to sell my wares to anyone who would listen. I managed to snag a few wholesale accounts and that gave me the the confidence I needed to start selling at fairs and what not....the rest is history.



What do you enjoy most about artisan markets and craft fairs?
I love love love meeting fellow crafters/artists. It's not often you can be in a room full of that much artistic energy. The direct feedback from customers is great perk too.


What inspires you and your work?
Gardening, nature, and my two girls Haalen, 12, and Keiler, 2.



What do you do when you are not crafting?
Garage saling, gardening, and home beautification on a budget...why do you think I like garage saling so much? : )


Describe a perfect day in Portland?
Hmmmmmmmm...I'd have to say my perfect day would be going to one of the many very cool farmer's markets around town, venturing over to Westmoreland Park to feed the birds, going to sushi at Saburo's, and then taking a soak in the Kennedy School soaking tub. That's if I'm really motivated....


Hometown?
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

No comments: