Sunday, April 4, 2010

Artisan Profile - Ashley of Sunup Jewelry


How/when did you become an artisan?
As with most good things, it was a gradual process. I'm sure I've been trying to make jewelry since the age of 5, but I got serious about it maybe 3 years ago.
What do you enjoy most about artisan markets and craft fairs?
There are two things I love equally. First, it is so much fun to see other artists' creations! If I had more time to shop I'd be broke! Second, I really enjoy getting out of the studio and chatting with such a large variety of people. I love talking about my jewelry, and I also love peoples' random stories and simply hearing what they are up to for the day.
What inspires you and your work?
A little bit of everything, I suppose. My designs tend to immitate trees, gardens, and flowers, so that's where some of my ideas stem from. Most of my inspiration comes from simply thinking, and tapping into the energy of the universe.
What do you do when you are not crafting?
Mostly I drink hot chocolate (year-round!). But I also spend time reading, writing letters to friends, ice skating, planting tomatoes and playing MasterMind.
Describe a perfect day in Portland?
It would be one of those perfect weather days - bright and sunny - I'd sleep in then go out to breakfast at Mother's Bistro with a friend, then take a load of glass out of the kiln (my most favorite part!), go on a walk, and spend time with the people I adore.
Hometown?
Westminster Station, Vermont


No comments: