Sunday, March 28, 2010

Dan of Dan Morris Mosaics

How/when did you become an artisan?I've always been fascinated with stained glass, and my father taught me how to create stained glass windows while I was in college. I worked on windows for several years, but made the shift to mosaics about five years ago. I love working with glass, and the freedom to let pieces evolve organically without a set plan.
What do you enjoy most about artisan markets and craft fairs?I like seeing other people's creations, which give me ideas for projects of my own. People are clever!
What inspires you and your work?I'm really inspired by the glass. All the glass I use is recycled. Most I rescue from a dumpster, and some glass I get is scrap from a company that does water jet cutting. There's an amazing amount of craft that goes into creating these materials, and I see my work as a way to display them. What do you do when you are not crafting? I'm a public health scientist for the state of Oregon, and love my job. We work to create environments in which people can be healthy, and my job is to help plan and evaluate our efforts.
Describe a perfect day in Portland?In the morning the ground is wet with rain from the night before, but the skies are clear. Plenty of coffee, sushi for lunch, and dinner with friends before an evening concert.
Hometown?
I grew up in NE Portland, just a few blocks from the Irvington Club.

No comments: