Thursday, April 22, 2010

Vanessa and Melissa of Missionary Chocolates


How/when did you become an artisan?
Accidentally! My sister Melissa started playing around inthe kitchen one Christmas to see if she could create vegan truffles that would delight my Mom. The first round didn’t quite do it, but after a bit more trial and error, they really did become decadent taste experiences that I knew had to be marketed to the people of Portland! Fast forward a year and a half, and my sister and I are thrilled to be business partners sharing our passion for gourmet vegan truffles.
What do you enjoy most about artisan markets and craft fairs?
I am a very social person, and I love interacting with lots of people! Combine that with the look of delight that crosses a potential customers face when they try one of our truffles, and you have the winning formula that makes almost every event I do great fun. I meet other vendors, usually take home neat artisan stuff, and in general have quite a ball. Work is so hard ;)
What inspires you and your work?
I am inspired by the possibilities that come with making truffles. The sky is practically the limit when it comes to what you can do with purees, oils, and all kinds of unique ingredients that Melissa and I have a lot of fun sourcing. To keep it exciting, we debut new flavors every now and again – and trust me, I enjoy the taste testing part of the process too
What do you do when you are not crafting? Hmm. I am usually surrounded by chocolate, but on those off days, I love the hot springs, reading in Laurelhurst park, all the amazing restaurants in Portland, and of course – the beach!
Describe a perfect day in Portland?
Rainy in the early morning, sunbreaks towards 10am, sunny skies in the afternoon, followed by more rain on my roof at night. It’s like a melody (hey, this is Portland, after all).

Hometown?
I feel like a bit of a nomad, as I have lived lots of different places. I almost consider Portland to be my hometown, as it is the city I have loved the most, where I have spend 5+ years now. But, if I was going to be technical about it, Pope Valley, CA is the closest thing to a hometown I got!


No comments: