Monday, March 22, 2010

Artisan Profile- Steve of A Second Helping

How/when did you become an artisan?



In most of my early childhood memories, I was making something or pretending to make or cook something. Throughout my life I have been crafty – I love to have parties and love to make things to make my gatherings memorable – the two just went hand in hand. I guess the simple answer to your question is that becoming an artisan chose me rather than I deciding to become one.


What do you enjoy most about artisan markets and craft fairs?
I enjoy the people who attend, (particularly my customers) and getting feed back on the things I create, new ideas I try. I love to talking to other artisans, batting ideas back and forth; talking about what shows worked for them.
What inspires you and your work?
I am a nester by nature and I want people to remember a visit to my home. Nature, my home and garden are important to me. I am always on the look out for things that would make a visit memorable. I think the customers at artisan markets and craft fairs are looking for items that are memorable; that will make their homes welcoming and memorable; their gifts just a little more special.—that is what I attempt to do with my crafts. I do read and research what other artisans are doing. I am always on the lookout for directions and combinations in colors.

What do you do when you are not crafting?
I try to out of doors as much as possible, walking my golden retrievers, working in my vegetable garden and …ugh!, …cleaning the house.

Describe a perfect day in Portland?
A perfect day in Portland is sunny, with a clear view of the mountains; walking and playing with my two golden retrievers – Thurston and Lovey. Stopping to chat with neighbor or acquaintances (with their dogs) in the park.

Hometown?
I grew up in Festus, Missouri a town about thirty miles south of St. Louis.

No comments: